Saturday, 5 December 2015

Exercise 2.5: Every day icons


Choose a range of items that represent feminism as you see it and make a collage from photographs of your chosen items. Play with scale, perspective and colour. Black and white – spot colour – it’s your choice.

Feel free to use text to illustrate, i.e. as image rather than text. You can use parts of found images as long as the concept and major images are your own. 

Produce one photo collage digitally. 

Produce a second photo collage in a different, more tactile and responsive manner. Re- photograph the result.

Your collages should be 2:1 ratio, i.e. twice as long as wide. 

Write up the experience in your learning log or blog and comment on how well the two production methods worked.



This is my first attempt using 'everyday icons'.  I thought of womanly bits and pieces such as make up and hair prodicts using the L'Oreal adverts 'You're worth it' but, in the end that was too flippant.  This image incorporates two of the iconic women who work for liberty and feminism in the modern world.  I added the words' libety, equality, fraternity' epitomise how the world is feeling today as a result of the bombings and shootings in Paris recently.  The bullet holes add an extra dimension to the words.



I closed it down and when I reopened it the next day realised it was too 'busy' and needed to be refined to give over the message more simply.

 In my second attempt I wanted to make it much simpler so removed the three words for the text 'True Feminism'.  I thought by blending the two faces together it would show that generation of women joined together to fight for women's rights which are still being denied throughout the world.  The Iron bars behind the faces with bent bars represents how women have won the battle in some areas but have still to win the war for true equality.




























No comments:

Post a Comment